In June of 1922, a meeting was held in "Old Red Church",
Destrehan, Louisiana for the purpose of forming a Knights of Columbus
Council. Members were from both sides of the river, the majority from
Destrehan. The new Council was made of thirty members.
As time passed interest in the Council by the Destrehan members fell by the
wayside. So a resolution was passed changing the meeting location to
Luling. Inevitably, on May 22, 1929, a resolution was passed requesting
from Supreme Council that the domicile of Council 2409 be changed to Luling,
Louisiana. Supreme granted the request effective August 20, 1930.
An entry in the 1930 minutes states Council 2409 was granted as the #1 K of C Council in Louisiana. That same year in May, the Council Home Association was inaugurated. This is the ten member board which oversees the business affairs of the Council. Years later the Knights purchased a building on Milling Avenue.
In 1938, a levee set-back had to be done and the Luling-Hahnville bank in Luling was displaced by this move. So the Bank rented the bottom floor of the building to carry on their business. In about 1932, Luling Trading Co., a mercantile store burned, displacing the family who operated the store. The owner a brother knight was allowed to move his family into a living space on the second floor; keep in mind these are the depression years.
During the years 1966-1968, the Council bought property, sold the original home, and built the home which was located on Milling Avenue to the rear of the hospital, its present owner. That building was dedicated in September 1968.
In 1974, Council 2409 was the winner of the State of Louisiana basketball champions.
In 2001, the Council was graciously permitted to meet in the C.A. building of St. Anthony of Padua Church in Luling.
In 2010-2011, St. Charles Council 2409 was voted Number One Council in the state of Louisiana for their community, church, and charity services.